You have to try our fresh take on this Indonesian classic. It’s tasty, nutritious and quick and easy to make. It’s a great recipe for winter, as it’s comforting, warming and has lots of ingredients that support immunity.
Eggs are a nutritional powerhouse. A lot of people get excited about the whites because they are such a great protein source, but it’s the yolks that really give eggs their superfood status. They contain healthy fats and fat-soluble vitamins, including vitamin D (so it’s like eating sunshine - perfect for when you aren’t getting enough actual sunshine).
The garlic, ginger and chillies will warm you up from the inside, and you really can’t go past rice as great comfort food. Brown basmati rice still contains the outer bran layer of the rice, making it more nutritionally dense and higher in fibre than the white variety.
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 1/2 cups Brown Basmati Rice
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp grated ginger
Onion, finely chopped
1 yellow capsicum, sliced
1 cup sugar snap peas
17.6 oz chicken mince
2 tbsp tamari
¼ cup Kecap Manis, optional
3 Cups bean sprouts
2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
Coriander leaves, to serve
2 heaped tbsp The Wholefood Pantry Chicken Bone Broth Homestyle Original
1. Prepare rice to packet instructions, adding Chicken Bone Broth to cooking water.
2. In a dry pan, toast your raw cashews until lovely and golden. Set aside and chop when cooled.
3. Heat half your sesame oil over a high heat in either a large saucepan, or a wok. One at a time, crack your eggs and cook to your liking. Set aside and keep warm.
4. Add remaining oil to your wok before adding in your garlic, ginger, onion and frying until fragrant. Add in your chicken and cook, breaking apart any chunks, for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
5. Add in capsicum and sugar snap peas and cook until lovely and tender, about 4 minutes.
6. Add in your brown rice, tamari, and kecap manis (if using), and cook until combined
7. Divide between 4 bowls, top with your eggs, bean sprouts, chilli, coriander and cashews, then serve.