Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian or just looking for some meat-free meal options, this Pulled Jackfruit Burrito Bowl is a great option. Jackfruit (if you haven’t heard) is an awesomely versatile fruit that mixes beautifully with herbs and spices to take on a taste and consistency similar to meat. Jackfruit is also a really sustainable crop with each tree able produce up to 2-3 tonnes of jackfruit per year. (Fun fact - the largest jackfruit on record was a massive 42.72 kg).
We have combined black beans and rice in this dish, which complement each other as plant-based proteins, providing a source of all of your essential amino acids. The avocado, olive oil and tahini provide a great source of healthy fats. This is a macronutrient complete meal with plenty of ingredients that have you covered for a massive variety of micronutrients as well.
Overall this is a really healthy dish that the whole family will love. It’s fun, fresh and full of flavour. 10/10 would recommend to a friend.
1 can young jackfruit in brine (not syrup), drained
Additive free Mexican spice mix (or you can make your own using the recipe below)
1/2 tsp additive free chipotle
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, halved and sliced
6-8 cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup sliced red cabbage
2 handfuls of additive free corn chips
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup hulled tahini
2 cobs of corn
1 tbsp organic Maple Syrup
Pink Himalayan crystal salt
1/2 cup brown Basmati rice
1 tbsp pepitas
1 tbsp Vegetable Broth Garden Veggie
1. Cook rice to packet instructions adding broth to the cooking water, season and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, place a fry pan on medium heat, add olive oil and jackfruit, soften and break apart to achieve a 'pulled' texture.
3. Add 1 tbsp Mexican spice mix, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, maple, pinch of salt, and chipotle, stir through until caramelized. Taste and season, set aside in a bowl, cover until needed.
4. Meanwhile, char corn on a gas flame or a hot dry pan.
6. Mix together tahini, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, pinch of salt, squeeze lime juice.
7. Divide all ingredients between 2 bowls, drizzle tahini dressing over beans and rice.
8. Garnish with pepitas and cilantro.
Makes 2 big bowls.
Note: To make homemade Mexican spice mix, combine: